Karen N here! Today, I’m sharing my tips and tricks to using up those paper scraps. We all have them! Here they are:
1. Whenever possible, keep collections together. I use 13×15″ ziploc bags that I found on Amazon or your local dollar store.
2. Paper piecing! It’s a great way to use those little scraps.
3. Die cut shapes. With the Big Shot (and your favorite dies), you can get just the shapes you want.
4. Pair scraps with a cute image that you color. It’s a great way to tie in unrelated scraps (if you don’t keep them all together!)
5. Make borders from the scrap. I did a card today that I punched a border for a sentiment. I only had about a 3/4″ scrap. I punched both sides, cut it down the middle and glued it to the back of the sentiment.
6. Repeating images or cuts, like in my circle card below.
7. Flowers. Heartfelt creations has all kinds of beautiful flower dies. Make flowers to use on future projects! Using the Heartfelt Creations Deluxe Flower Shaping Kit makes this SO easy.
8. Use as testers. I use small scraps to test out my Stickles….to make sure I don’t end up with huge glops on my projects. I also use scraps to test a die (just to make sure it fits properly with a stamp or something).
9. Throw it away! If you saw my hoard of scraps, you’d seriously laugh at me….but seriously every now and then, I come across the most ugly scrap. Why did I keep that?!
Here’s my video where I put all of these tips into play:
And here are the cards I made – all from my paper scraps!
Both of these cards use scraps exclusively from the Heartfelt Creations Classic Sunflower Collection. It’s such a beautiful collection! This first card uses repeating circle die cuts. I stamped, die cut and shaped the sunflowers onto white paper and then inked them up with Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Fossilized Amber and Mustard Seed. I added some Timeless Twine and some pearls.
The next card features a stamp from Oak Tree Stamps. I colored that adorable preggers girl up with Copic markers. The onesie embellishment is stamped and paper pieced on top of a Sizzix Triplits Banner Die. Again, I added some Timeless Twine and, this time, embellished with UmWow Studio chip covered in Liquid Pearls.
I hope you enjoyed my tips for using those scraps. It’s a fun challenge to make cards exclusively from scraps. You should try it! Thanks for stopping by today!
Supplies from Cut@Home:
Big Shot – SKU 660425
Heartfelt Creations Deluxe Flower Shaping Kit – SKU HCST1-401
Heartfelt Creations Classic Sunflower Stamp – SKU HCPC-3626
Heartfelt Creations Classic Sunflower Die – SKU HCD1-753
Sizzix Triplits Banner Die – SKU 659606
Tim Holtz Distress Ink – Mustard Seed – SKU TIM20226
Tim Holtz Distress Ink – Fossilized Amber – SKU TIM43225
Supplies from my stash:
Oak Tree Stamp, Timeless Twine, UmWow Studio Chipboard, Liquid Pearls, Copic Markers